Augmented painting: Elli Maanpää 2019 // 3 paintings with 2D animation
Augmented painting combines acrylic painting with 2D animation trough augmented reality. They are inspired by Maanpää’s Finnish roots. Finnish idioms are famous for their pessimistic undertone. Like for example “Whoever is happy should hide it.”
Maybe it’s time to give the idioms a second viewpoint. What if being the “Painter of the skyline” wouldn’t mean a pointless dreamer but she who points out the beauty in our world.
This was my thesis project in Animation in Turku Arts Academy. For animation I used TVPaint and After Effects and for Augmented Reality I used Arilyn Manager. To see the paintings you must download the free Arilyn App from the App Store or Google Play.
- May 2020 Animatricks Animaatiofestivaali, Helsinki (CANCELLED)
- 18.-23.2.2020, Galleria Albert IX, Helsinki
- Thursday 25th of April 2019, Hallway – TUAS Campus, Turku
- Tuesday 18th of June 2019, The National Museums Summer Yard, Helsinki
- 21st to 25th of August 2019, Turku Animated Film Festival, Turku
Kel Onni on (English: Whoever is Happy) 38 x 46cm. Taivaanrannanmaalari (English: Painter of the Skyline) 60 x 73cm. Pää pilvissä (English: Head in the Clouds) 100 x 150cm. All acrylic on canvas. 2019
Augmented Paintings are now available to purchase as museum quality art prints for limited time in my Etsy shop Elli Maanpää Art.